- “NOAA Wind Forecasts Result In $150 Million In Energy Savings Every Year” • As electricity providers increasingly add renewable energy to their portfolios, a study in the Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy shows that more accurate wind forecasts generated by a NOAA weather model is saving large amounts of money. [NOAA Research]
- “EU Reveals Its Plans To Stop Using Russian Gas” • More details have come from the European Commission on how it plans to end Europe’s dependence on Russian fossil fuels and speed up its shift to green energy. Russia supplies 40% of the EU’s natural gas and 27% of its imported oil. The EU sends Russia roughly €400 billion per year in payment. [BBC]
- “‘Fossil Fuels Are A Dead End’: UN Chief Emphasizes Renewable Energy Projects” • United Nations general secretary Antonio Guterres, noting the global energy crises which prompted large economies to open new oil and gas fields, has proposed five critical actions to jump-start the transition to renewable energy. [Hindustan Times]
- “Center Advancing Beyond-Lithium Battery Tech Generates Over 30 Patents” • Since 2013, DOE researchers have invented a diverse range of technologies in the “beyond lithium-ion” space. The primary focus has been on flow, lithium-sulfur, multivalent and solid-state batteries. It has yielded over 30 patents that are now available for licensing. [CleanTechnica]
- “Tesla Model 3 And Model Y Outsell All Other New Cars In California In Q1 2022” • Tesla Models 3 and Model Y EVs outsold all other new cars in California in the first quarter of 2022, even gas-powered vehicles. This is a major achievement for Tesla and a win for EV advocates, especially as California is the 5th-largest economy in the world. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.