- “Renewables Dominate UK Power Generation In 2020” • Renewables provided a record 43% of the UK’s electricity in 2020, up from 37% in 2019, according to UK Government statistics. Last year’s increased wind generation meant that for the first time ever, renewable energy sources generated more electricity than fossil fuels. [reNEWS]
- “US Renewable Energy Tops 170 GW” • A record 26 GW of clean energy projects came online in the US last year, bringing the total to over 170 GW, according to a new report from the American Clean Power Association. Combined wind, solar, and battery storage power represent 78% of new power installations in 2020, the report said. [reNEWS]
- “SEC Chair Gensler Says Investors Want Mandatory Disclosure On Climate Risks” • Securities and Exchange Commission Chair Gary Gensler said he wants mandatory disclosure on climate risks, and he wants the agency to develop a rule by the end of the year. His comments came because of requests by a large number of investors. [CNBC]
- “Ford Books 120,000 Reservations For F-150 Lightning” • During its Q2 earnings call on July 28, Ford said it has received more than 120,000 reservations for its electric pickup truck, the F-150 Lightning. That’s great news for EV advocates but even better news for Ford, because about 75% of the reservations are from new customers. [CleanTechnica]
- “Europe’s Q2 Diesel Share Hits Record Low As Plugin Share Doubles” • In Europe, sales of new diesel vehicles fell below 20% for the first time in Q2 2021. The diesel share of new sales fell dramatically to 18.4% in Q2 2021, from 27.9% in Q2 2020. At the same time, plugin electric vehicle share more than doubled year-on-year to 16.9% in Q2. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.