- “First All-Electric Vessels In USA Launch In New York – Maid of the Mist” • The Maid of the Mist; the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation; New York Power Authority; and ABB announced that the Maid of the Mist, the iconic Niagara Falls boat tour since 1846, launched the first two all-electric passenger vessels in the US. [CleanTechnica]
- “With Coal Dead, Department Of Energy Lobs Green Hydrogen Brick At Natural Gas” • With the US coal industry collapsing, we now turn to natural gas. The US DOE announced a major green hydrogen initiative with The Netherlands, which is building international collaborations aimed to squeeze natural gas out of the H₂ market. [CleanTechnica]
- “Electric Fire Trucks On The Way!” • We’re finally getting electric fire trucks! Volvo Penta has an electric powertrain to put into fire trucks produced by Rosenbauer. The name of the electrified fire truck is “Revolutionary Technology.” For now, there are just 3 test trucks. They are going into trial service in Berlin, Amsterdam, and Dubai. [CleanTechnica]
- “EU Parliament Steps It Up: 60% Carbon Emissions Cut By 2030 Proposed” • The EU Parliament voted to improve its 2030 climate target. The proposal voted through was to cut carbon emissions by 60% by 2030 rather than 40% by 2030. Clearly, the majority of new cars would need to be EVs by the end of the decade to meet this target. [CleanTechnica]
- “Fertiliser Use Threatens Global Climate Goals As Nitrous Oxide Emissions Soar” • The growing use of nitrogen fertilizers for farming is putting the world’s climate goals at risk, a study published this in leading scientific journal Nature has warned. The fertilizers emit nitrous oxide (N₂O), a greenhouse gas 300 times more potent than CO₂. [www.businessgreen.com]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.