- “Climate Change Pushes New Zealand To Warmest Recorded Winter” • For the three months through August, the average temperature was 9.8°C (50°F), according to New Zealand’s National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research. That’s 1.3°C above the long-term average and 0.2°C higher than the previous record posted last year. [CNBCTV18]
- “How To Raise Revenue Quickly: End Fossil Fuel Handouts” • After a century of waste and mismanagement, the House Natural Resources Committee has released a budget proposal that would end a slew of harmful handouts to the fossil fuel industry, protect publicly owned resources, and raise significant new revenues for US taxpayers. [CleanTechnica]
- “A Decade Of Wind, Solar, And Nuclear In China Shows Clear Scalability Winners” • China surprised the world in 2020, as it deployed 72 GW of wind energy, a world record for a single country, and 48 GW of solar capacity, over 50% more than the previous year. Meanwhile, exactly zero nuclear reactors were commissioned in 2020. [CleanTechnica]
- “NASA Begins Air Taxi Flight Testing With Joby” • NASA has begun flight testing Joby Aviation’s all-electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft at Joby’s Electric Flight Base near Big Sur, California. It is the first time that NASA will test an eVTOL aircraft as part of its Advanced Air Mobility National Campaign. The tests will run to September 10. [CleanTechnica]
- “Climate Change Means Australia May Have To Abandon Much Of Its Farming” • The findings of the IPCC suggest Australia may have to jettison tracts of the bush unless there is massive funding for climate-change adaptation and planning. Even if emissions are curtailed, Australia likely faces billions of dollars of costs for adaptation of rural communities. [Business Line]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.