WHAT IS LINE 3?
1. LINE 3 is a tar sands pipeline starting from First Nations territory in
Alberta, Canada and finally traveling through more than 300 miles of
Indigenous treaty land across Minnesota on its way east to the Enbridge
refinery in Superior, Wisconsin.
2. The tar sands crude carried by LINE 3 is the filthiest, most corrosive
and polluting oil there is.
3. LINE 3 is being built to carry more than 800,000 barrels of tar sands
crude every day, making it comparable to the defunct KXL pipeline.
4. LINE 3 is being built by ENBRIDGE, the Canadian pipeline giant
notorious for causing more and more severe pipeline accidents than
any of it competitors in an industry famous for dangerous accidents.
5. In 2010, an ENBRIDGE pipeline spilled 840,000 gallons of tar sands
oil into the Kalamazoo River. The EPA reports that 160,000 gallons of
the oil from this spill can never be recovered.
6. Pollution Control officials in Minnesota are now investigating spills
of toxic pipeline drilling fluids into at least 28 waterways and wetlands
along the LINE 3 route.
7. Construction of LINE 3 has destroyed and will continue to destroy
sacred Indigenous sites and traditional wild rice harvest locations.
8. Dozens of Indigenous led LINE 3 Water Protectors have been
arrested and held, often brutally, by county and municipal police paid
9. Man Camps that house pipeline crews are linked to drug crime,
human trafficking and the disappearance and murder of Native women.
10. TD BANK is a major lender, making construction of LINE 3 possible.
It is also the world’s 5th largest owner of ENBRIDGE shares.
11. ENBRIDGE owns 40% of both Green Mountain Power and Vermont
Gas Systems, making it an active energy power right here in Vermont.
STOP LINE 3