- Candela C7 Electric Speedboat Takes Flight” • A hydrofoil uses an underwater wing to produce lift, hoisting a boat out of the water for a faster, more efficient ride. It’s a clever solution that’s been around for decades, but hasn’t really gone anywhere, as yet. Candela, based in Sweden, has a revolutionary hydrofoil that has reached series production! [CleanTechnica]
- Peak Oil Moves Closer As Energy Majors Shift To Renewables” • In 2020, the largest oil and gas companies increased investment in clean energy by 34%, despite a 6% fall in global energy demand caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, according to new research. Oil and gas majors investe $8.8 billion (€7.2 billion) in 2020, up from $6.6 billion the year before. [Euractiv.com]
- Renewables To Yield Half A Million US Jobs By 2030″ • In the US, decarbonisation has the potential to create 500,000-600,000 new jobs across the solar, wind and battery storage industries by 2030, according to a report published by the American Clean Power Association. The jobs would have higher than average pay and could be unionized. [reNEWS]
- NREL Inventiveness Sets New Record For Patent Activity” • Forty US patents issued to NREL during fiscal 2020, up from the 32 issued during the prior fiscal year. Of the 269 disclosures filed with the laboratory’s Technology Transfer Office as steps toward patent or copyright protection, 153 are in the category of record of invention and 116 are software. [CleanTechnica]
- Synthetic Fuels Won’t Replace EVs” • Synthetic fuels, done correctly, are carbon neutral, and they’d have almost as much energy density as gasoline or diesel. With all of their advantages, some have said they’re a great alternative to electric vehicles. But when the math is done, and all examined, synthetic fuels just aren’t going to replace EVs. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.