- “US West Coast: Carbon Free By 2045 … Or Earlier” • HB 2021, Oregon’s “100% Clean Electricity” bill, which the legislature just approved and sent to Governor Brown for signing, puts Oregon on a path to zero greenhouse gas emissions in the grid by 2040. With commitments by California and Washington, it foresees a 100% clean west coast by 2045. [CleanTechnica]
- “Potential Electricity Disruptions In The United States This Summer” • Parts of the United States are at elevated or high risk for electricity emergencies this summer, an assessment by the North American Electric Reliability Corporation says. It notes that above-normal temperatures are expected for much of North America, increasing electricity demand. [CleanTechnica]
- “Biden Signs Bill Repealing Trump-Era EPA Rule On Methane Emissions” • President Joe Biden signed a bill repealing a Trump-era rule that rolled back regulations on emissions of methane from the oil and gas industries. Methane is a particularly potent greenhouse gas that has allowed to escape from gas and oil wells and from pipelines. [CNN]
- “Bill To Jumpstart Renewable Energy Industry In Northern Maine Earns Janet Mills’ Signature” • Governor Janet Mills signed a bill to give Aroostook’s renewable energy industry a boost. LD 1710 looks to connect the Northern Maine energy grid to the grid supplying the rest of New England. The Legislature passed the bill with bipartisan support. [Bangor Daily News]
- “Supreme Court Gives Pipeline Eminent Domain Go-Ahead” • In a 5-4 decision, the US Supreme Court sided with PennEast Pipeline Company in its battle with the state of New Jersey over whether its federal permit conferred the power of eminent domain and allowed it to overrule the state’s opposition to the pipeline’s construction. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.