- “Evidence Of Antarctic Glacier’s Tipping Point Confirmed For First Time” • Researchers at Northumbria University have confirmed for the first time that Pine Island Glacier in West Antarctica could cross tipping points, leading to a rapid and irreversible retreat which would have significant consequences for global sea level. [EurekAlert!]
- “Latest FERC Reports Show Renewables Significantly Out-Performed Nuclear Power In 2020” • Several reports by the Energy Information Administration and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission show that the mix of renewable energy sources significantly out-performed and expanded their lead over nuclear power in 2020. [Solar Power World]
- “Volkswagen’s European Factories Up To 95% Powered By Renewables” • In 2020, Volkswagen Group increased the share of renewables powering its European factories from 80% to 95%, and ten of its factories became 100% renewably powered. The target is for Volkswagen’s factories to reach 100% renewable power by 2023. [CleanTechnica]
- “UK Labour Party Pushes For Electric Vehicle Revolution” • The UK EV market has been hot, but it could be much hotter, and the Labour Party wants to make it so. Party leadership want to increase access to EVs, increase charging infrastructure, and speed up EV adoption. Incentives include interest-free loans and credits for scrapping polluting cars. [CleanTechnica]
- “In A Record Year For Clean Energy Purchases, Southeast Cities Stand Out” • Cities around the country bought more renewable energy last year than ever before, data from the Rocky Mountain Institute and World Resources Institute shows. About half of the “most noteworthy” of the cities are in the area stretching from Texas to Washington, DC. [Energy News Network]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.