- “How Much Power Is 1 Gigawatt?” • At the end of 2022, there were over 144 GW of wind power and 110 GW of solar PVs in the US. To help put this number in perspective, it’s important to know just how big 1 GW is. We might envision 2.469 Million PV Panels, or 310 utility wind turbines, or 1.3 million horses, or even 2,000 Corvette Z06s. [CleanTechnica]
- “China Makes A ‘Major Strategic Decision’ That Will Impact The Whole World: ‘Based On Our Sense Of Responsibility’” • The Good News Network reported that the government of China outlined its intention to install 100 GW of renewable energy, particularly solar and wind in the desert regions, by 2026 in its recent Five-Year Plan. [Yahoo News]
- “New Tech Boosts Dutch Drive For Sustainable Farming” • The Netherlands is the second biggest exporter of agricultural goods, but producing for such a large export market put pressure on the nation’s environment. The Farm of the Future was started at Wageningen University four years ago after biodiversity declines due to climate change were seen. [BBC]
- “Roads Out Of Burning Man May Reopen Monday For The Tens Of Thousands Of People Still Trapped There After Rain Deluged The Area With Mud” • Roads out of the Burning Man festival may reopen Monday for the tens of thousands of people trapped for a third day in the Nevada desert after heavy rains covered the grounds with deep mud. [CNN]
- “These Tiny Creatures Are Losing Their Battle To Survive. Here’s What We Can Do To Save Them” • Rufous Hummingbirds are magical. The male’s iridescent throat glows brighter than a shiny copper penny and it whizzes through the air curiously hovering right in front of humans who ponder them. It has lost two-thirds of its population since 1970. [CNN]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.