- “Italy’s Renewable Energy Sector Soars With 2.5 GW Of Additions In Six Months” • Reports indicate that in the first half of 2023, Italy added an impressive 2.5 GW of new renewable capacity. The Monthly Electricity System Report says domestic clean energy sources covered 44.3% of the nation’s electricity demand in June. [Microgrid Media]
- “Climate Records Tumble, Leaving Earth In Uncharted Territory” • A series of climate records on temperature, ocean heat, and Antarctic sea ice alarmed some scientists who say their speed and timing is unprecedented. Heatwaves in Europe could break more records, the UN says. Scientists already fear some worst-case scenarios are unfolding. [BBC]
- “Batteries The Next Step For Billionaire St Baker’s Energy Ecosystem” • Trevor St Baker knows how to make money. He recently sold his coal-fired power generator in New South Wales, for 200 times what he paid for it. Now, he is investing in green energy, not because he wants to save the world, but because he wants to make money. [CleanTechnica]
- “Queensland’s $62 Billion Green Energy SuperGrid Gambit” • Though Australia is a major coal producer, the government has approved several wind and solar power operations and expects the country to become a major green hydrogen hub in the next decade. And now the state of Queensland will become home to a SuperGrid, powered by renewables. [Yahoo Finance]
- “El Paso Electric Power Usage Hits Level Not Expected Until 2029 Because Of Heat Wave” • El Paso Electric has shattered power-consumption records four days in the last three weeks because of the heat wave gripping the region for over a month. El Paso Electric officials didn’t expect to hit the power peak levels of this summer until 2029. [El Paso Times]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.