- “Mushrooms Could Play A Key Role In Solving The Climate Crisis” • The scientific journal Cell Press is publishing a study showing that a group of fungi with mycorrhizal systems draw down and store more than 13 million tons of carbon dioxide annually. That’s nearly the annual greenhouse gas output of China and the US combined. [The Japan Times]
- “A Manufacturing Revolution Is Underway In The USA, Thanks To Joe Biden” • The Inflation Reduction Act and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law are stimulating a massive reinvestment in manufacturing, infrastructure, and good working class jobs in the US. Despite some who obsess over potential recession, we have a booming economy. [CleanTechnica]
- “Switching From Coal Power Contracts To Renewable Energy Can Save Kerala ₹9,000 Crore In Five Years” • Replacing its coal power contracts with renewable energy can save the Indian state of Kerala ₹9,000 crore ($1.09 billion) over a five-year period, a study by think tank Climate Risk Horizons says. The report recommended phasing out coal by 2030. [The Hindu]
- “Canadian Wildfire Smoke Is A Climate Change Wake-Up Call For The USA” • The New York Post ran a headline this week telling readers to “Blame Canada” for the smoke hanging over the city. It is typical of reactionaries in the US to look around and refuse to see what is happening before their eyes. The climate crisis ss arriving early, and we aren’t ready. [CleanTechnica]
- “Quebec Sees Progress In Wildfire Battle” • Quebec has made progress in its battle to fight wildfires that have contributed to the smoke that blanketed large parts of North America this week. Philippe Bergeron, with Quebec’s firefighting agency, said that firefighters have been successful in putting out a few fires and containing larger ones. [BBC]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.