- “Nation’s PV Growth, Exports Chase Demand” • China’s new PV installations grew 98.7% year-on-year to 58.24 GW during the first 10 months this year, as the country has actively promoted solar power development for some years. Exports hit a record high amid surging demand overseas, hitting $44.03 billion, up 90.3% year-on-year. [China Economic Net]
- “Health Benefits Of Wind Energy Could Quadruple By Dialing Down Fossil Fuels” • The IEA’s new report demonstrates that in the vast majority of nations, utility-scale solar PV and onshore wind are the least costly solutions for new generating capacity. As we move away from fossil fuels, our health benefits, but it could benefit more with planning. [CleanTechnica]
- “The Making Of A Pumped Hydro Water Storage Battery In Switzerland” • The Nant de Drace pumped hydro facility, with a capacity to store 20 GWh of electricity, is now in operation high in the Swiss Alps near the border with France. It has been under construction for 14 years, and uses 18 km of tunnels cut into the Valais Alps. [CleanTechnica]
- “Solar Panels Go Perfectly With Pickup Truck Tonneau Covers” • Worksport doesn’t make EVs, but it does make tonneau covers for pickup trucks. They are the flat covers that go over truck beds to protect against loss, theft, and weather. Worksport has been busily getting solar panels integrated into tonneau covers. Soon, they will be ready to go to market. [CleanTechnica]
- “Winter Storm Leaves At Least 37 Dead In The US. Residents In Western New York Remain Trapped Under Feet Of Snow” • The massive winter storm is still blasting much of the US with brutal winter weather. It has caused at least 37 deaths. Parts of western New York were buried by 43 inches of snow, leading to eleven ambulances being abandoned. [CNN]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.