- “Whales Can Have An Important But Overlooked Role In Tackling The Climate Crisis, Researchers Say” • The world’s largest whales are more than just astonishing creatures. Much like the ocean, soil, and forests, whales can help save humanity from the climate crisis by sequestering planet-heating carbon emissions, researchers say. [CNN]
- “Redwood Materials Will Build New Battery Recycling Facility In South Carolina” • South Carolina is getting to be a focal point of the EV revolution. Hyundai is building a $5 billion factory to make EVs in the state. BMW and Volvo have factories. Redwood Materials announced it will start construction of a $3.2 billion battery recycling facility. [CleanTechnica]
- “California Regulators Approve Plan For Carbon Neutrality By 2045” • The California Air Resources Board approved a plan to reach carbon neutrality by 2045, in line with legislation signed by Governor Gavin Newsom earlier this year. It is to move one of the largest economies in the world to renewable energy and away from fossil fuels. [CNN]
- “California pulls the plug on rooftop solar” • The Public Utilities Commission approved Net Energy Metering 3.0, reducing payments for sending rooftop solar production to the grid. New rooftop solar projects are considered uneconomical without an attached battery. Adding batteries still allows a fair return on investment. [pv magazine USA]
- “Australia Passes Law To Cap Energy Prices Against ‘Wartime Whims’” • Australians are facing a surge in utility bills this year, despite living in a top coal and natural gas producing nation. So the Australian parliament passed a law capping its domestic gas price and some states’ coal prices to protect consumers from the “wartime whims” of the world. [CNN]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.