- “What is a mass extinction and are we causing one?” • No credible scientist disputes that we are in a crisis regarding the speed at which nature is being destroyed. Some are saying we could be entering a sixth mass extinction. Opening the COP15 conference in Montréal, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said a million species now “teeter on the brink.” [BBC]
- “Big Oil Has Engaged In A Long Climate Disinformation Campaign While Raking In Record Profits, Lawmakers Find” • Big Oil companies engaged in a “long-running greenwashing campaign” while raking in “record profits at the expense of American consumers,” the House Oversight Committee has found after a year-long investigation. [CNN]
- “Flameproofing Lithium-Ion Batteries With Salt” • Rachel Z Huang and others at Stanford University and the DOE’s SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory developed a non-flammable electrolyte for lithium-ion batteries. Their work showed that batteries containing this electrolyte continue to function at high temperatures without igniting. [CleanTechnica]
- “European Commission To Fund 600-MW Europe-Africa Renewable Energy Bridge” • The European Commission has announced that it will disburse €307.6 million ($323 million) to finance the construction of a 600-MW undersea interconnection facility between Italy and Tunisia, creating a renewable energy bridge between Europe and Africa. [IEEFA]
- “Governor Hochul Announces Start Of Construction on Smart Path Connect Transmission Line” • Governor Kathy Hochul announced the start of construction on Smart Path Connect, a transmission project to rebuild and strengthen approximately one hundred miles of transmission in the North Country and the Mohawk Valley. [Governor Kathy Hochul]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.