- “100 Percent Renewable Energy Systems Could Power The Globe By 2050” • A review from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers analyses over 600 peer-reviewed articles on 100% renewable energy. “The main conclusion of most of these studies is that 100% renewables is feasible worldwide at low cost,” the report says. [TriplePundit]
- “’Doomsday Glacier,’ Which Could Raise Sea Level By Several Feet, Is Holding On ‘By Its Fingernails,’ Scientists Say” • In Antarctica, Thwaites Glacier, called the “doomsday glacier,” has the potential to rapidly retreat in the coming years, scientists say, amplifying concerns over the extreme sea level rise that would accompany its potential demise. [CNN]
- “Renewable Energy From Local Sources Is The New, New Thing In Europe” • There is a quiet revolution taking place that could significantly disrupt the utility industry. Communities in Europe are making plans to create their own electricity from renewable sources. It involves people managing their own supply of electricity. [CleanTechnica]
- “ISO New England Needs To Admit Gas Is Unreliable” • Winter after winter, when the cold weather returns, New England’s grid operator issues dire predictions of an energy crisis. What causes this? An overreliance on methane gas for power generation and heating. But ISO New England’s rules continue to favor gas over renewables like wind and solar. [CT Mirror]
- “BlackRock Battles Texas Again Over Divestments” • Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar (R) concluded that several companies are violating a new state law that requires fossil energy industry investment. If found culpable, BlackRock and nine European firms may be prohibited from conducting significant business with Texas state agencies. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.