- “Oil Permits Up For Auction In Congo’s Virunga Park, Putting Endangered Gorillas At Risk” • Despite growing pleas from climate change activists, the Democratic Republic of Congo says it is moving forward with its plans to auction off a vast majority of oil and gas drilling blocks located in the country’s rainforest and peatland. [CNN]
- “US Power Companies Secretly Spending Millions To Protect Profits And Fight Clean Energy” • In 2019, a Florida state senator proposed a law allowing landlords to sell rooftop solar power to tenants. The CEO of Florida Power & Light sent out in an email, “I want you to make his life a living hell … ” It went to a PR firm, and it has been leaked. [The Guardian]
- “NextEra Plan For 200 MW solar, 75 MW Storage At Shuttered Nuclear Plant Approved By Iowa Regulators” • The Iowa Utilities Board approved plans by NextEra Energy to build 200 MW of solar and a 75-MW, 300-MWh battery storage facility through two subsidiaries at the site of its shuttered Duane Arnold nuclear plant in Palo, Iowa. [Utility Dive]
- “Manchin And Schumer Announce Deal For Energy And Health Care Bill” • Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senator Joe Manchin announced a deal on an energy and health care bill, representing a breakthrough after more than a year of negotiations that have collapsed time and again. The deal is a major reversal for Manchin. [CNN]
- “New York Plans 2-GW Offshore Wind Auction” • New York Governor Kathy Hochul outlined plans to hold a third offshore wind solicitation for 2 GW of projects. NYSERDA will administer the procurement exercise. It will include the first phase of the state’s $500 million investment in manufacturing, offshore wind ports, and supply chain infrastructure. [reNews]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.