- “Can The Defense Production Act Jump-Start A Transition To Renewable Energy?” • Soon after Russia invaded Ukraine, Bill McKibben proposed a radically simple idea: President Joe Biden should invoke the Defense Production Act to undermine Russia’s economic power over the EU by having US manufacturers make millions of electric heat pumps. [Sierra Club]
- “Suddenly, Heat Pump Clothes Dryers Are Having A Moment” • A heat pump is an energy efficient appliance that can do much more than heat a building. Heat pumps can also deliver AC, and now it turns out they can run clothes dryers, which is a big deal because laundry is one of the leading energy-sucking features of the modern household. [CleanTechnica]
- “BYD Has Ended Production Of Conventional Cars Powered by Gasoline” • The last BYD passenger car without a plug rolled off the line in China at the end of February. Since then, every one built has been either a plug-in hybrid or a battery-electric car, according to Electrive, which cites several different Chinese sources for its report. [CleanTechnica]
- “Enel Green Power To Build 3-GW Solar Panel Factory In Italy” • Italian renewable energy firm Enel Green Power signed a grant agreement with the European Commission to build a solar panel gigafactory in Italy. The facility will be built at EGP’s 3Sun solar PV plant in Catania, Sicily, increasing the PV-making capacity from 200 MW to 3 GW. [Power Technology]
- “Hertz Buys 65,000 New Electric Cars From Polestar” • Hertz is proving to be a major player in the switch to electrification, and is following up its 100,000 unit Tesla order with another massive electric car order. This time, from Swedish performance brand Polestar. The 65,000 order is more than double Polestar’s entire sales for last year (29,000 units). [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.