- “American Lung Association Says EVs Save Lives” • A report from the American Lung Association says that transitioning away from fossil fuels to battery-EVs would lead to important health and financial benefits. The US would see more than $1.2 trillion in health benefits if it goes electric for personal vehicles by 2040 and for trucks by 2035. [CleanTechnica]
- “IAEA Investigates Claim Russians Fled Chernobyl With Radiation Sickness” • Russian troops have largely withdrawn from the Chernobyl nuclear power. The Ukrainian state power company Energoatom said the pullout came after soldiers received “significant doses” of radiation, a claim the UN’s nuclear watchdog has said it is investigating. [The Guardian]
- “The World Is Stuck Between Gas Prices And Climate Change” • The West needs more oil now. The world needs to get off oil and gas ASAP. It is an epic quandary of the oil addiction that runs the world economy. President Joe Biden announced a plan he said would address all of the above, with a large release from the strategic oil reserve. But will it work? [CNN]
- “Biden Orders ‘Unprecedented’ Release Of Oil Reserves” • US President Joe Biden ordered a major release from America’s oil reserves in an effort to bring down high fuel costs. The release of up to 180 million barrels of oil over six months is the largest in the reserve’s 48 year history. But it is unlikely to fully resolve the energy crisis, analysts say. [BBC]
- “NHTSA Agrees With Tesla And Increases Fines For Auto Makers That Don’t Meet Fuel Economy Rules” • The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has agreed with Tesla in a move that will increase the fines for automakers whose vehicles don’t meet fuel efficiency requirements for model years 2019 and up, Reuters reports. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.