- “Court Case In Hawaii Against Fossil Fuel Companies Passes Major Milestone” • In Hawaii, a state judge ruled that a lawsuit seeking damages from major oil and gas companies can move forward. The companies are accused of working for decades to deceive the public and policymakers about the devastating impacts of climate change. [CleanTechnica]
- “House Democrats To Biden: Use Climate Action To Restart Negotiations On Spending Bill” • A bloc of 89 House Democrats sent a letter to President Biden urging him to restart negotiations on a Democrat-only spending bill centered around climate action. The lawmakers stressed that Biden must not fail to act on climate change. [CNN]
- “Scientists In The US Are Flying Planes Into Clouds To Make It Snow More” • With 61% of the contiguous US in drought, wouldn’t it be nice if we could just “make it rain” or just “make more snow?” Well, certain parts of the country are doing just that, sort of. It’s called cloud seeding, and it’s nothing new. It’s been around since the 1940s. [CNN]
- “EU Looks To Cut Reliance On Russian Gas With Investment In Heat Pumps” • The EU is seeking to reduce use of fossil fuels to stop financing Russian aggression. One pillar of the European Commission’s new REPowerEU plan is the increased deployment of electric heat pumps to displace fossil gas demand for heating in Europe. [CleanTechnica]
- “Widespread Support In EU Parliament For 45% Renewable Energy Target” • There is growing support in the European Parliament to increase the EU’s 2030 renewable energy target. The European Commission is set to push for its 2030 target to be increased to 45%. Just over 22% of Europe’s energy comes from renewables currently. [EURACTIV.com]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.