- “West Virginia To See Thousands Of New Jobs From Build Back Better Act” • The Senate’s passage of the policies in the Build Back Better Act, which the House has passed, would enable West Virginia to invest in climate solutions that could lead to over 70,000 direct jobs, an analysis from the Natural Resources Defense Council shows. [CleanTechnica]
- “Big Banks Fund New Oil And Gas Despite Net Zero Pledges” • Big banks are pumping billions into new oil and gas production despite net zero pledges, campaigners have said. Banks including HSBC, Barclays, and Deutsche Bank are still backing new oil and gas despite being part of a UN-led group called the Net Zero Banking Alliance, ShareAction said. [BBC]
- “Renewables Reach New Highs In NEM As Fossil Fuels Slump To Historic Lows” • New figures published by Australia’s Climate Council show that renewable energy generation in the National Electricity Market grew almost 20% in 2021. Renewable sources generated 31.4% of electricity last year while gas generators supplied just 5.7%. [pv magazine Australia]
- “Tesla Shanghai Capacity Will Exceed 1 Million Cars In 2022, BYD Blade Batteries Coming” • Reports from CnEVPost say the manufacturing capacity of the Tesla Gigafactory in Shanghai is expected to increase to over 1 million cars a year in the near future. It also says BYD will supply about 10 GWh of its LFP Blade batteries to Tesla each year. [CleanTechnica]
- “US Electric Car Sales Surge As Overall Car Sales Slip – A Game-Changing Trend?” • Last quarter, overall US auto sales fell, but EV sales surged. Kelley Blue Book reports that total car sales fell by 21.3% in Q4 2021 compared to Q4 2020, while EV sales grew by 72%. Kelley Blue Book is not alone in predicting that EV sales will keep growing. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.