- “MidAmerican Unveils 2.1-GW Iowa Clean Power Project” • MidAmerican Energy has plans for a $4 billion renewable energy project in Iowa, including wind and solar generation. In a filing with the Iowa Utilities Board, MidAmerican’s proposed project would add 2,042 MW of wind generation and 50 MW of solar generation, to be completed in 2024. [reNews]
- “China Mined A Record Amount Of Coal In 2021. It Might Produce Even More This Year” • China produced more coal than ever last year as its power stations struggled to meet demand for electricity, undermining plans to curb carbon emissions. Coal output hit a record 4.07 billion metric tons last year, up 4.7% from 2020. Output may increase this year. [CNN]
- “Greening The Rust Belt: An Unexpected Link Between Manufacturing Jobs And Sustainability” • Research suggests that communities that have seen steep reductions in manufacturing jobs are less likely to adopt plans related to environmental sustainability, highlighting the role that economic transitions play in fostering sustainability efforts. [CleanTechnica]
- “South Africa’s Highest Mileage BMW I3 Has Now Driven 300,000 KM On Its Original Battery!” • Shaun Maidment’s 2016 BMW i3 now has 300,000 km (186,411 miles) on its odometer, the highest mileage of any i3 in Africa. He bought the car in August of 2016 and has been driven it over 300,000 km on its original battery! [CleanTechnica]
- “EU Beats 2020 Renewable Energy Goal, France Lags Behind” • The EU got 22% of its electricity from renewables in 2020, beating its 20% target, the EU statistics office said. The bloc’s 27 countries are increasingly turning to wind, solar, and other renewable energy sources as part of efforts to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. [Reuters]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.