- “2021 Was 45th Year In A Row With A Warmer-Than-Normal Global Temperature” • The last 45 years have all been above the 20th century average for global temperature, new data shows, as Earth continues its relentless warming due to heat-trapping fossil fuel emissions. Earth’s average temperature is now around 1.1°C above average pre-industrial levels. [CNN]
- “The US ‘Megadrought’ Sets Another Stunning Record” • Despite several recent drenching rainstorms in the West and enough snow to top the second story of some buildings, the United States has tied an alarming drought record: At least 40% of the Lower 48 has gone 68 straight weeks – more than 17 months – in drought conditions. [CNN]
- “India’s Richest Man Is Pouring More Than $80 Billion Into Green Energy” • Reliance Industries, a conglomerate owned by Indian billionaire Mukesh Ambani, announced that it would allocate ₹6 trillion (about $80.6 billion) to renewable power projects in the western Indian state of Gujarat, where it hopes to help generate a million new jobs. [CNN]
- “Renewable PPA Prices Surge In Response To Gas Crisis” • A price rise of 7.8% quarter on quarter for renewable purchase price agreements means that the average cost has soared by 17.4% in the past nine months Corporations are looking to deliver on their climate goals and protect themselves against growing gas price volatility. [Business Green]
- “Energy Department Will Recruit 1,000 Additional Staffers For New Corps To Tackle The Climate Crisis” • The DOE is starting up a Clean Energy Corps to help implement the bipartisan infrastructure law and develop clean-energy solutions to the climate crisis, the agency said. It will hire 1,000 new employees through a newly launched hiring portal. [CNN]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.