- “Rolls-Royce Sets Electric Airplane Speed Record” • After years of work on a battery-electric airplane Rolls-Royce Aerospace put Spirit of Innovation to its first extended flight in November, with a goal to exceed 300 mph (483 km/h). It hit 387.4 mph and set records for speed and rate of climb. RR sent the records data to the certifying authority. [CleanTechnica]
- “Interior Department Approves Second Major Offshore Wind Project In US Federal Waters” • The Biden-Harris administration has a goal to deploy 30 GW of offshore wind energy by 2030. As part of that, the Interior Department announced that it approved the construction and operations of the South Fork Wind project off Rhode Island. [Renewable Energy Magazine]
- “China Adviser Says Energy Crisis Won’t Stall Climate Action” • China’s energy crisis won’t derail plans to make progress on curbing greenhouse gas emissions in the next few years, a top researcher involved in drafting proposals said. The 2025 energy blueprint will be centered on prioritizing renewables and energy efficiency, he said. [JWN Energy]
- “$1.4 Billion Approved For Zero-Emissions Vehicles In California” • California is the leading electric vehicle state in the US both for the total number of EVs and public EV chargers, so it’s no surprise that the California Energy Commission approved $1.4 billion in funding to support zero emissions vehicles and the supportive infrastructure. [CleanTechnica]
- “Biden Administration Calls For Hike In Federal Drilling Fees In Report That Largely Sidesteps Climate Issues” • The Interior Department released a review of oil and gas drilling on federal lands and oceans that recommends an increase in leasing fees. But it does not recommend one of President Biden’s election promises, a halt to drilling. [CNN]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.