Get Email Updates!

Concentration of CO2 in the Atmosphere

VT: Upcoming household hazardous waste event




8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – FAIR HAVEN Transfer Station, 175 Fair Haven Avenue (off West Street), Fair Haven

2021 HW Contractor – ENPRO Services of Vermont, Inc. a US Ecology owned company. THE SERVICE IS FREE TO: Residents of the SWAC Towns ONLY – Benson, Chittenden, Fair Haven, Middletown Springs, Pawlet, Rutland Town, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, Tinmouth, and West Haven. As a resident of SWAC, you may attend ANY of the events listed above. PROOF OF RESIDENCY MAY BE REQUIRED.

BETWEEN EVENTS: Residents of these communities may purchase a non-district permit to utilize the Rutland County Solid Waste District Gleason Road transfer station and hazardous waste depot. The permit allows access to the Gleason Road facility and allows for drop off of HHW at no charge, trash disposal at current rates, and access to recycling drop-offs. Permit purchase is available at the scalehouse or HW depot at the transfer station or at the RCSWD offices, located at 1 Smith Road, Rutland. Weekend permits sales are not available at either location. Telephone 802-775-7209 for additional information and current rates. You can also purchase a permit online at

Any substance with labels that say CAUSTIC, TOXIC, CORROSIVE, POISON, FLAMMABLE, DANGER, WARNING, CAUTION, USE IN AN OPEN ENVIRONMENT. Examples include: antifreeze, turpentine, stains, varnishes, carburetor cleaner, creosote, drain cleaner, propane tanks, mercury thermostats, oven cleaner, fertilizer, paint strippers, thinners, solvents, gas treatments, old gasoline, engine degreaser, floor, metal, and furnisher polishes, latex and oil based paint, pool chemicals, and pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides (fertilizer without pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides is not a hw – use it for its intended purpose), and batteries (single use or rechargeable – for large batteries, see note below).

ELECTRONICS: Permanent electronics collection locations are available throughout the County to serve Vermont residents. Call toll free at 855-632-9253 or visit to find a collection facility near you. Large businesses should contact the RCSWD at (802-775-7209) to discuss recycling and disposal options.
SMOKE DETECTORS AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS – Intact carbon monoxide detectors and household smoke detectors can be disposed of as trash.
LARGE BATTERIES – Most service stations will accept used automobile batteries. Interstate Battery located on 71 River Street, Rutland, also accepts large batteries (automotive batteries or other large batteries).
FLUORESCENT BULBS – Residents of Vermont may at no charge to them dispose of mercury-containing lamps at collection sites throughout the state. Residents may take any number of compact fluorescent mercury-containing lamps (cfls) or 10 or fewer mercury-containing lamps that are not compact fluorescent lamps at one time. To find collection locations near you, visit:
TIRES are also accepted at the Gleason Road transfer station for a nominal fee and some SWAC transfer stations. Contact your local transfer station for more information.
VAPING DEVICES – Check with our local law enforcement officials for options for disposal.

Small business (conditionally exempt generators) which may include town offices, schools, and town garages can dispose of their wastes at the RCSWD Gleason Road Hazardous Waste Depot. A permit is required to access the facility. Contact RCSWD directly at 802-775-7209 to purchase a permit, receive an estimate of disposal costs, and to schedule an appointment to drop off wastes. Payment for disposal will be required at the time of drop-off.

CONTAINERS – Any product brought to the household hazardous waste events (including used motor oil) must be left in the container they are transported in. Materials will not be poured off into larger containers at the events.

USED WASTE OIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY THE HW HAULER. However, waste oil WILL be accepted at BOTH the Fair Haven and Rutland town transfer station used oil collection areas during the event. TRANSFER STATION ATTENDANTS will be happy to take your used waste oil.
Used waste oil is also accepted at many locations throughout the area for FREE. Visit for locations near you.
EVENT MANAGEMENT: Please place all items to be disposed in the trunk of your car or the back of your van or truck. DO NOT exit your vehicle. PLEASE wear a mask for personal protection and leave pets at home.

To help lower the disposal costs for your community, only purchase the amount of a product you need and consider giving any leftover product (such as paint and fertilizer) to a neighbor, friend, or charitable organization. Please keep products in their original containers. Do not mix products!

For additional information, please call Pam at 802-342-5701.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>