- “Lying, Cheating Oil And Gas Companies Stick Taxpayers With Cleanup Bill” • There are millions of abandoned gas and oil wells all across America. Many states require oil and gas companies to put up a bond to cover the cost of closing them down, but in practice, that bond is often a small percentage of the actual cost. Taxpayers pay the difference. [CleanTechnica]
- “COP26: What Is The Glasgow Climate Conference And Why Is It Important?” • The UK is hosting a summit that may be crucial for climate change to be brought under control. The meeting in Glasgow from 31 October to 12 November could lead to major changes to our everyday lives. Two hundred countries are asked for plans to address climate change. [BBC]
- “Xlinks Launches Morocco-UK Renewable Energy Plan” • Xlinks has set out plans to export clean electricity from Morocco to the UK, via HVDC subsea cables. The Morocco-UK Power Project will generate 3.6 GW of electricity in the North African state using solar and wind. The project will also include a 5-GW, 20-GWh battery. [Energy Voice]
- “Young People Around The World Take To The Streets And Demand Urgent Climate Change Action” • Young people around the world took to the streets on Friday to demand urgent action to avert disastrous climate change, in their largest protest since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. The strike took place five weeks before the COP26 summit. [Newshub]
- “Many Nations Join Call For No New Coal Plants” • After China announced it will stop overseas coal power finance, a group of countries, including Chile, Denmark, France, Germany, and the UK have announced a No New Coal Power Compact. They aim to encourage all countries to commit to stop building coal-fired power plants. [The Sentinel Assam]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.