- “US Offshore Wind Industry Has Electrifying Future” • The Offshore Wind Market Report: 2021 Edition, written by a team of researchers at the DOE and NREL, says the US offshore wind industry made great progress in 2020 and early 2021. The offshore wind pipeline grew 24%, with 35,324 MW now in various stages of development. [CleanTechnica]
- “Toss, Repair, Or Recycle Solar Panels? How Human Behavior Affects Fate Of Old Solar Panels” • By 2050, there could be 80 million metric tons globally of solar PVs reaching the end of their lifetime, with 10 million metric tons in the US alone. NREL researchers addressed this in an article published in the journal Nature Energy. [CleanTechnica]
- “Biden Announces Global Goal To Reduce Planet-Warming Methane Emissions” • President Joe Biden announced the US and EU have launched a global pledge to reduce emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas, by nearly 30% by the end of the decade. Methane emissions are driven by fossil fuels, coal mining and agriculture. [CNN]
- “The Planet Is On A ‘Catastrophic’ Global Warming Path, UN Report Shows” • The planet is careening toward warming of 2.7°C above pre-industrial levels, according to a report on global emissions targets by the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. This is far above the highest temperature scientists say the world should be allowing. [CNN]
- “Gas Price Rises Prompt Urgent UK Government Talks” • The government is holding urgent talks with representatives from the energy industry as there is growing concern about a spike in wholesale gas prices. High global demand, maintenance issues at some gas sites, and lower solar and wind output are blamed for the price rise. [BBC]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.