- “Nicholas Is Now A Hurricane That Threatens The Texas Coast With Heavy Rain And Storm Surges” • Nicholas strengthened into a hurricane and threatens to bring heavy rain, storm surges and strong winds to portions of the Texas Coast, the National Hurricane Center said. It said Nicholas could produce as much as 12 inches of rain or more in some areas. [CNN]
- “Norway’s Center-Left Defeats Solberg’s Conservative Rule” • The opposition Labor party has won Norway’s general election, bringing an end to eight years of conservative government under Erna Solberg. Norway’s biggest export is oil and the green party campaigned to close production down in a few years to curb the country’s carbon emissions. [BBC]
- “Young People Very Worried: Survey” • A global survey shows the depth of anxiety many young people feel about climate change. Three-quarters of them said they thought the future was frightening. Over half (56%) say they think humanity is doomed. Over 45% of those questioned said feelings about the climate affected their daily lives. [BBC]
- “World Now Sees Twice As Many Days Over 50°C” • The number of extremely hot days every year, when the temperature reaches 50°C, has doubled since the 1980s, a global BBC analysis found. The total number of days above 50°C (122°F) increased in each decade since 1980, rising from an average of 14 days per year n 1980-2009 to 26 in 2010-2019. [BBC]
- “Biden Pushes To Combat Climate Crisis While Surveying Wildfire Damage In Western US” • President Joe Biden surveyed wildfire damage in the Western US, using nearly every stop he made to illustrate how recent extreme weather events underscore the urgency of his economic agenda and its investments in the nation’s infrastructure. [CNN]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.