- “Climate Change Is Sparking Wildfires That Are Amplifying Covid” • The Caldor Fire east of Sacramento, is causing noxious air in Reno and threatening Lake Tahoe. The air quality near Reno this week is at its worst it’s ever been, and there’s growing evidence that noxious smoke from the fires amplifies the severity of Covid outbreaks. [CNN]
- “Funding For Gravity-Based Renewable Energy Storage Tower For Grid-Scale Operations” • Energy Vault, maker of the EVx gravitational energy storage tower, has secured $100 million in series C funding. The investment was led by Prime Movers Lab, with additional participation from SoftBank, Saudi Aramco, Helena, and Idealab X. [PV Magazine]
- “How To Fight Microplastic Pollution With Magnets” • Fionn Ferreira, a chemistry student at Groningen University in the Netherlands, found a way to use magnets to extract microplastics from water. He mixed vegetable oil with iron oxide powder to create a magnetic liquid, which attached to the particles. He was 87% successful in trapping them. [BBC]
- “Europe’s 2020 Heat Reached ‘Troubling’ Level” • Last year was the warmest on record across Europe, breaking the previous high mark by a considerable amount, say scientists. Temperatures in the region were more than 1.9°C above the long-term average of 1981 through 2010. Also, Arctic Temperatures were the highest since records began in 1900. [BBC]
- “Tesla Model 3 Has Passed 1 Million Sales” • A reader pointed out that the Tesla Model 3 seems to have had 1 million deliveries. Indeed, looking at my own long-term records of Tesla sales, at the end of the 2nd quarter of 2021, the Model 3 had reached 1,031,588 worldwide deliveries. The Model 3 would be the first EV to have 1 million sales. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.