- “Protecting The Next Generation” • Climate change has been ignored in the Australian media (controlled by Rupert Murdoch) until recently. Now it is being mentioned, but highlighting the danger and provoking fear. Our young may be bombarded by horrific scenes of heatwaves, fires, and floods. That is something we have to be careful about. [CleanTechnica]
- “Wildfires Have Scorched Almost 1 Million Acres Across 12 States” • About 1 million acres have been scorched in 71 large fires or complexes across 12 states, the National Interagency Fire Center said on its website. In Oregon, the massive Bootleg Fire – the country’s largest wildfire – has already charred more than 220,000 acres. [CNN]
- “At Least 80 Dead And Hundreds Unaccounted For In German Floods” • At least 80 people have died and hundreds more are unaccounted for in Germany after some of the worst flooding in decades. Record rainfall in western Europe caused rivers to burst their banks, devastating the region. Political leaders have blamed the flooding on climate change. [BBC]
- “Formula 1 Boss Ross Brawn Says Hydrogen Could Be Future Fuel” • Hydrogen-powered cars could be the future of Formula 1, according to F1 managing director for motorsports Ross Brawn. “Maybe hydrogen is the route that Formula 1 can have where we keep the noise, we keep the emotion, but we move into a different solution,” Brawn told the BBC. [BBC]
- “This California Firefighter Has Been On The Job 25 Years. He’s Seen Firsthand How Wildfires Have Worsened” • Fire Captain Dennis Smith is in his 25th fire season with CalFire, and he has seen fighting fires change over time. The temperatures are hotter. The fire seasons are several months longer. The blazes are bigger, and there are more of them. [CNN]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.