- “Oil Lobby Cheers Trump Policy That Lets Oil Companies Kill Birds” • With just two weeks left in office, the lame duck Trump administration published a rule to allow industries to kill migrating birds so long as they don’t intentionally kill them. The rule is based on a legal opinion rejected and vacated by a federal judge last August. [CleanTechnica]
- “2020 Was Tied For The Hottest Year Ever Recorded – But The Disasters Fueled By Climate Change Set It Apart” • Data from the Copernicus Climate Change Service made it official that 2020 tied 2016 as the hottest year on record, but it was abundantly clear throughout 2020 that the world is already seeing worsening disasters from climate change. [CNN]
- “Trump Admin Trying To Force Banks To Finance Fossil Fuel Projects” • Wall Street banks slammed a proposed rule that would force lenders to finance fossil fuel projects and other business they they deem to pose a reputational risk, Bloomberg reports. They question both its legal underpinnings and the fast-tracked process that created it. [CleanTechnica]
- “In Boost For Renewables, Grid-Scale Battery Storage Is On The Rise” • The gas-fired Moss Landing Power Plant was once California’s largest electric power station. Now it is closed. Its connections to the electric power grid are to be used by huge batteries, with 300 MW nearly ready and more to come. And that is just one of several batteries coming. [Grist]
- “Climate Change Will Roast Cities More Than Anywhere Else” • Research shows that the average temperature within a city will rise well beyond the global average temperatures that climate initiatives tend to focus on, Wired reports. In fact, the new models show that metro areas could end up 4.4°C hotter by the year 2100. [Futurism]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.