- “Offshore Wind ‘Critical’ To UK Covid-19 Recovery” • The UK expects the offshore wind sector to play a critical role in the country’s economic recovery post Covid-19, according to BEIS director of clean power strategy and deployment Declan Burke. He said, there are enormous opportunities for the local wind turbine supply chain. [reNEWS]
- “Tesla Tripled Solar Roof Installations In Q2 2020” • Tesla released what was perhaps the most highly anticipated quarterly earnings letter to date. While much of Tesla’s business was flat quarter on quarter due to coronavirus, we learned Tesla was able to triple the number of Solar Roof installations in Q2 compared to Q1 of this year. [CleanTechnica]
- “Confirmed: Tesla’s Giga Texas In Austin, Texas, Will Build Cybertruck, Semi, Model 3 And Y” • In Tesla’s quarterly earnings letter, CEO Elon Musk confirmed the location of the new factory. It will be Giga Texas, built just outside Austin. It will produce the Cybertruck, but also the Tesla Semi, Model Y, and Model 3 for customers in the Eastern US. [CleanTechnica]
- “Renewable Energy Is Seizing Market Share During The Pandemic” • Renewable energy has surged to capture a record share of global electricity generation, seizing more market share during the coronavirus downturn. In the downturn in demand, gas and coal were pushed out of the market because renewables have no variable costs. [OilPrice.com]
- “Flexible Energy Systems For Africa Accelerated By Crises” • In South Africa, responding to the department of mineral resources and energy’s first budget speech since a departmental merger, Standard Bank Group says the Covid-19 crisis highlights that Africa needs to develop flexible energy systems, renewables and decentralized. [ESI Africa]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.