CSWD Invites comments on new draft Solid Waste Implementation Plan
CSWD Seeks Public Input on New Draft Solid Waste Implementation Plan (SWIP)
CSWD is seeking public input on our new Solid Waste Implementation Plan (SWIP). This Plan, required by State statute, outlines how we will meet the Performance Standards in the Vermont Materials Management Plan
(MMP), which Vermont’s Agency of Natural Resources updated in November, 2019.
The MMP provides a statewide strategy for the management of waste, including a framework for the State and its citizens to prevent waste from being generated and to expand reuse, recycling, and composting efforts to attain Vermont’s statewide goals.
To achieve this, the MMP outlines actions that both ANR and Solid Waste Management Entities–districts, alliances, and independent towns–will take to reduce the amount and toxicity of solid waste in Vermont. CSWD’s draft Plan includes information on how various waste streams are managed in Chittenden County; how members are and will be educated on waste prevention, reduction, and proper disposal; and how CSWD will meet the performance standards in the MMP.
We want to know what Chittenden County residents, businesses, and stakeholders think about these proposals.
Comments for this round of input will be accepted until 4:30 p.m., June 3, 2020. Additional opportunities are highlighted below.
Next Steps for SWIP Approval
- Staff incorporates public comments and presents draft SWIP to the CSWD Board of Commissioners at the June 10, 2020 Board meeting. The public is welcome to attend.
- The Board approves draft SWIP for submission to ANR for pre-approval.
- ANR pre-approves the draft SWIP.
- CSWD publicizes additional opportunities for public comment, including two public hearings.
- Board adopts draft SWIP at the September Board meeting.
- Staff submits adopted draft SWIP to ANR. SWIP must be approved by November 19, 2020.
Questions? Contact Michele Morris, Director of Outreach & Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 802-872-8100 x237.
Thank you in advance for your help in keeping your District in the forefront of sustainable waste management!