Get Email Updates!

Concentration of CO2 in the Atmosphere

Rutland, VT: Upcoming household hazardous waste event


8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – RUTLAND TOWN Transfer Station, in Northwood Park, off Post Road Extension, Rutland

THE SERVICE IS FREE TO: Residents of the Solid Waste Alliance Communities (SWAC) Towns only- Benson, Chittenden, Fair Haven, Middletown Springs, Pawlet, Rutland Town, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, Tinmouth, and West Haven. As a resident of SWAC, you may attend the events listed above. PROOF OF RESIDENCY MAY BE REQUIRED.

SWAC has contracted with EnPro Services of Vermont for these hazardous waste collection services.

BETWEEN EVENTS: Residents of these communities may purchase a non-district permit to utilize the Rutland County Solid Waste District Gleason Road transfer station and hazardous waste depot. This permit allows access to the Gleason Road facility and provides drop off of household hazardous waste at no charge, trash disposal at current rates, and access to recycling drop-offs. Permit purchase is available at the scalehouse or hazardous waste depot at the transfer station or at the RCSWD offices, located at 1 Smith Road, Rutland, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Permits are not available for sale on weekends at either location. Telephone 802-775-7209 for additional information and current rates.


Antifreeze, Arts and Crafts Supplies, Carburetor Cleaner, Creosote, Drain Cleaners, Fertilizer, Floor Cleaners, Gas Treatments, Old Gasoline – cannot be contaminated, Batteries (NOT car batteries (see below)), Chemistry Kits, Engine Degreaser, Flea Powder, Furniture Polish, Latex and Oil Based Paint, Pesticides, Pool Chemicals


ELECTRONICS: Permanent electronics collection locations are available throughout the County to serve Vermont residents. For a list of registered collection locations, visit or call toll free at: 1-855-6ecycle (1-855-632-9253). Large businesses should contact the RCSWD at (802-775-7209) to discuss recycling and disposal options and fees.

FLUORESCENT BULBS – Residents of Vermont may at no charge to them dispose of mercury-containing lamps at collection site throughout the state. Residents may take any number of compact fluorescent mercury-containing lamps (cfls) or 10 or fewer mercury-containing lamps that are not compact fluorescent lamps at one time. To find collection locations near you, visit: . Some local options include The House of Lights, Aubuchon Hardware, Noble Ace Hardware, and Lavalley Building Supply.

USED WASTE OIL is accepted at many locations throughout the area for FREE. Visit for locations near you. NOTE: Waste oil WILL be accepted at Rutland town transfer station used oil collection areas during the event – DO NOT DROP USED OIL OFF WITH THE HAZARDOUS WASTE HAULER. The very helpful staff at the transfer station will assist you.

SMOKE DETECTORS AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS – Disposal options: Intact carbon monoxide detectors and household smoke detectors are accepted for disposal with regular trash.
•Many manufacturers of smoke detectors have voluntary take-back programs for safe disposal of these items. Be sure to verify current packaging and shipping requirements directly with the manufacturer. Curie Environmental Services also will recycle ionization smoke detectors for a small fee. The program is called Curiepack. Businesses should call the Vermont Environmental Assistance Division in Waterbury at (802) 241-3745.

AUTOMOBILE BATTERIES – Most service stations will accept used automobile batteries. Interstate Battery, 71 State Street will accept car batteries (802) 786-9075

TIRES are also accepted at the Gleason Road facility for a nominal fee.


Small business (conditionally exempt generators) which may include town offices, schools, and town garages can dispose of their wastes at the RCSWD Gleason Road Hazardous Waste Depot. A permit is required to access the facility. Contact RCSWD directly at 802-775-7209 to purchase a permit, receive an estimate of disposal costs, and to schedule an appointment to drop off wastes. Payment for disposal will be required at the time of drop-off.


CONTAINERS – Any product brought to the household hazardous waste events (including used motor oil) must be left in the container they are transported in. Materials will not be poured off into larger containers at the events.

•Use products up for their intended use to lower disposal costs for your community. Please keep products in their original containers. Do not mix products!

•No smoking or fires allowed at the collection site.

For additional information, please call Pam at 802-342-5701.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>