Spring is here and Prescott Farm has lots to offer those looking to get outdoors and enjoy the natural beauty around us!
The farm is designated as an official New Hampshire Wildlife Viewing Area and visitors can enjoy hiking on more than three miles of woodland, pond and field trails. Trails are open to the public year-round, at no cost! Come and enjoy them from dawn to dusk and make sure to grab a trail map and/or some binoculars from our “green” building. Visitors may also explore the three-story historic barn, beautiful heritage flower and vegetable gardens.
The “green” building, otherwise known as the Samuel P. Pardoe Building, has some great “Explorer” Backpacks that can be borrowed and taken out on the property. The three currently available are for Farm & Garden, Pond and Birds & Animals exploration. Each bag includes games, guides and other materials that go along with that particular themed pack. These are great for families with little ones that want to come to the Farm and make a day of it. Pack a lunch, as there are many beautiful spots along the property with views of the Belknap Mountains and Lake Winnipesaukee to enjoy a nice meal with family and friends.
Every month Prescott Farm offers programs that encourage people of all ages to get outdoors and connect with nature. Here are just a few of the upcoming programs and events:
• “The Big Night for Amphibians” Walk & Talk (April 8) – all ages welcome
• Celebrating the Seasons Series “Transformation” (April 16) – see specific times for Adults and Families
• Fledglings Preschool Open House (April 14) – families can bring their child with them (the preschool is for ages 3-5)
• Moonlit Walk (April 22) – all ages welcome
• WildQuest Spring Camp (April 25-29) – for children ages 6-12
• WildQuest Summer Camp (June 20 – August 19) – for children 4-15 *Early Bird rates end April 30.*
• Polliwog Pre-K Programs (May 4, 11, 18, 25 and June 1 & 8) – for children ages 3-5
• Natural Playscape Grand Opening (May 14) all are welcome!
• Herbal Pathfinder Classes begin (May 14)
• Cultivating Edible Mushrooms Workshop (May 21)
Prescott Farm is a non-profit organization that offers environmental education for all ages throughout the year including WildQuest camps, public programs, field trips, long-term partnerships with local elementary schools and NOW Fledglings Nature-Based Preschool. The 160 acre historic family farm features woodland and field trails, a “green” building with geothermal and solar energy systems, historic barns, an old-fashioned maple sugaring operation (during the month of March), heritage gardens, and forested pond. Prescott Farm is open year round, seven days a week from 9:00 – 4:00PM. It is free to come and go for a hike or explore the “green” building!
For more information please visit www.prescottfarm.org. Reservations are required for all programs and can be made online or by calling 603-366-5695.