Concentration of CO2 in the Atmosphere

2015 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events

Solid Waste Alliance Communities

Saturday, September 12, 2015

1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. – Shrewsbury Transfer Station, 103 Mountain Road, Shrewsbury

Saturday, September 19, 2015

8:00 – 9:30 a.m. – Benson Transfer Station, Benson

10:30 A.M. – Noon. – Sudbury Transfer Station, Across From The Town Garage, Williams Lane, Sudbury

1:00 – 3:00 P.M. – Fair Haven Transfer Station, Fair Haven Avenue, Fair Haven

September 26, 2015

8:00-11:30 A.M. – Rutland Town Transfer Station, in Northward Park, off Post Road Extension, Rutland

FREE SERVICE TO: Residents of the Solid Waste Alliance Communities (SWAC) Towns ONLY – Benson, Chittenden, Fair Haven, Middletown Springs, Pawlet, Rutland Town, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, Tinmouth, and West Haven. As a resident of SWAC, you may attend the events listed above, even if it is not the one scheduled for your town. Residents of these communities may also drop off their household hazardous waste at the Gleason Road Hazardous Waste Depot during normal operating hours. PROOF OF RESIDENCY REQUIRED.

BUSINESS WASTE: Small business (conditionally exempt generators) which may include town offices, schools, and town garages can dispose of their wastes through the Rutland County Solid Waste Management District (RCSWD) Hazardous Waste Depot. Waste may include oil-based paint (no charge), non-architectural paint, pesticides (no charge), and used motor oil. Please call 775-7209 to schedule an appointment. Payment for disposal will be required at the time of drop-off.

  • Use products up for their intended use to lower disposal costs for your community. Please keep products in their original containers. Do not mix products!
  • No smoking or fires allowed at the collection site.
  • Computer Collection: Permanent computer collection programs are available throughout Rutland County. Since the passage of environmental producer responsibility electronics legislation in 2011, approved facilities accept many electronics from residents and small businesses at no charge. Please visit the

SWAC website at for additional information. Large businesses should contact the RCSWD at (802-775-7209) to discuss recycling and disposal options. There is a nominal fee for recycling/disposal of business waste. ELECTRONICS ARE NOT ACCEPTED AT THESE EVENTS.

What to Bring:

Carburetor CleanerChemistry Kits


Drain Cleaners

Engine Degreaser


Flea Powder

Floor Cleaners

Fluorescent Bulbs (Unbroken)

Furniture Polish

Radiator FlusherRodent Killer


Insect Sprays/Pesticides

Latex, Lead and Oil-Based Paints

Lighter Fluid

Lithium, Mercury, Ni-CAD Batteries

Metal Polish


Paint Thinners/Strippers/StainsPhoto Chemicals

Roofing Tar

Rug/Upholstery Cleaners

Rust Proofers

Solvents/Varnish Sealants

Toilet Cleaners

Used Motor Oil

Wax Polish

Wood Preservatives

What Not To Bring

  • Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Detectors – Disposal options:

Intact carbon monoxide detectors and household smoke detectors are accepted for disposal with regular trash.

Many manufacturers of smoke detectors have voluntary take-back programs for safe disposal of these items. Be sure to verify current packaging and shipping requirements directly with the manufacturer. Curie Environmental Services also will recycle ionization smoke detectors for a small fee. The program is called Curiepack.

Businesses should call the Vermont Environmental Assistance Division in Waterbury at (802) 241-3745.

Limitations, regulations and other specifications: Ionization smoke detectors do contain a small amount of a low-level radioactive isotope, but the material is not considered hazardous to people or pets at the levels present in household smoke detectors.

  • Containers – Any product brought to the household hazardous waste events (including used motor oil) must be left in the container they are transported in. Materials will not be poured off into larger containers at the events.
  • Car Batteries – Most service stations will take used car batteries.
  • Tires – Tires are also accepted at the Gleason Road facility for a nominal fee.

For additional information, contact the RCSWD (802-775-7209), Pam at the SWAC (802-342-5701), OR VISIT WWW.RUTLANDCOUNTYSWAC.ORG.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>