Concentration of CO2 in the Atmosphere





8:00 – 9:30 a.m. – TINMOUTH TRANSFER STATION, Route 140, Tinmouth

11:00 a.m- 12:30 p.m.– BENSON TRANSFER STATION, Benson

1:30-3:00 p.m.  – SUDBURY RECYCLING CENTER, across from the Town Garage, Williams Lane, Sudbury

FREE SERVICE TO:  Residents of the Solid Waste Alliance Communities (SWAC) Towns ONLY – Benson, Chittenden, Fair Haven, Middletown Springs,  Pawlet, Rutland Town, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, Tinmouth, and West Haven.  As a resident of SWAC, you may attend ANY of the events listed above, not just the one scheduled for your town.  Residents of these communities may also drop off their household hazardous waste at the Gleason Road Hazardous Waste Depot during normal operating hoursPlease call John at 770-1333 for more information.  PROOF OF RESIDENCY REQUIRED. 

BUSINESS WASTE:  Small business (conditionally exempt generators) which may include town offices, schools, and town garages can dispose of their wastes through the Rutland County Solid Waste Management District Hazardous Waste Depot.  Waste may include, oil-based paints, pesticides (no charge), and used motor oil.    Please contact John  at 770-1333 to schedule an appointment.  Payment for disposal will be required at the time of drop-off. 

  • Use products up for their intended use to lower disposal costs for your community.
  • Keep products in their original containers.  Do not mix products!
  • No smoking or fires allowed at the collection site.

*COMPUTER COLLECTION:  Permanent computer collection programs are available in the towns of Benson, Chittenden, Fair Haven, Middletown Springs, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, and Tinmouth.  West Haven residents can access the computer collection box located in Fair Haven.  Since the passage of environmental producer responsibility electronics legislation in 2011, these facilities as well as many others accept many electronics from residents and businesses with less than ten employees at no charge.  Please visit the SWAC website at for additional information.  Businesses with more than ten employees should contact the Rutland County Solid Waste District at (802-775-7209) to discuss recycling and disposal options.   There is a nominal fee for recycling/disposal.  ELECTRONICS ARE NOT ACCEPTED AT THESE EVENTS.


Arts and Crafts Supplies

Carburetor Cleaner

Chemistry Kits


Drain Cleaners

Engine Degreaser


Flea Powder

Floor Cleaners

Fluorescent Bulbs (Unbroken)

Furniture Polish

Gas Treatments

Pool Chemicals

Radiator Flusher

Rodent Killer


Insect Sprays

Lead and Oil-Based   Paints

Lighter Fluid

Lithium, Mercury, Ni-CAD Batteries

Metal Polish


No–Pest Strips

Oven Cleaners

Paint Thinners


Photo Chemicals

Roofing Tar

Rug/Upholstery Cleaners

Rust Proofers

Solvents/Varnish Sealants

Toilet Cleaners

Used Motor Oil

Wax Polish

Wood Preservatives

Wood Strippers and Stains



  • LATEX PAINT  – Latex Paint is not a hazardous waste!  Use it up or give it to a friend to use.  It may be dried and landfilled as a solid waste.  Open container and let dry until solid or mix in cat-litter to speed up the process.
  • CAR BATTERIES may be taken to the Rutland County Solid Waste Facility during regular operating hours.  Most service stations will take used car batteries.
  • TIRES are also accepted at the Gleason Road facility for a nominal fee.

Please contact John at the Rutland County Solid Waste District at 802-770-1333,  Pam at the Solid Waste Alliance Communities at 518-854-9702  OR  VISIT WWW.RUTLANDCOUNTYSWAC.ORG FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.



Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>