Get Email Updates!

Concentration of CO2 in the Atmosphere


SATURDAY, MAY 12, 2012 – 8:00-11:00  a.m.
FAIR HAVEN Transfer Station, Fair Haven Avenue, Fair Haven

Solid Waste Alliance Communities Receive Grant to Collect Household Hazardous Waste.

The Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation defines Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) as “common household products that exhibit the characteristics (toxic, corrosive, reactive, explosive, and flammable/ignitable) of hazardous waste.  As a result, these products may be harmful to human health and/or the environment.  Many of these products are very common and are usually purchased from local hardware, automotive, and grocery stores.  These products are so common and easy to purchase, many people forget that these products can be extremely harmful to their health or the environment:

The Solid Waste Alliance Communities has received a grant from the State of Vermont, Agency of Natural Resources, Department of Environmental Conservation to help defray the cost of seven HHW collection events this year.  The funds from this grant help to offset the cost of collection, removal, and proper disposal of items that would otherwise cause, air, ground, and water pollution if disposed of improperly.  Collections are for residents of SWAC only.

For more information on the scheduled events, visit: or email


FREE SERVICE TO:  Residents of the Solid Waste Alliance Communities (SWAC) Towns ONLY – Benson, Chittenden, Fair Haven, Middletown Springs,  Pawlet, Rutland Town, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, Tinmouth, and West Haven.  As a resident of SWAC, you may attend ANY of the events listed above, not just the one scheduled for your town.  Residents of these communities may also drop off their household hazardous waste at the Gleason Road Hazardous Waste Depot during normal operating hours.  Please call: John at 770-1333 for more information.


BUSINESS WASTE:  Small business (conditionally exempt generators) which may include town offices, schools, and town garages can dispose of their wastes through the Rutland County Solid Waste Management District Hazardous Waste Depot.  Waste may include  fluorescent bulbs, oil-based paints, pesticides (no charge), and used motor oil.

Please contact: John  at 770-1333 to schedule an appointment.
Payment for disposal will be required at the time of drop-off.

  • Use products up for their intended use to lower disposal costs for your community.
  • Keep products in their original containers.
  • Do not mix products!
  • No smoking or fires allowed at the collection site.

*COMPUTER COLLECTION:  Permanent computer collection programs are available in the towns of Benson, Chittenden, Fair Haven, Middletown Springs, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, and Tinmouth.  West Haven residents can access the computer collection box located in Fair Haven.  Since the passage of environmental producer responsibility electronics legislation in 2011, these facilities as well as many others accept many electronics from residents and businesses with less than ten employees at no charge.  Please visit the SWAC website at for additional information.  Businesses with more than ten employees should contact the Rutland County Solid Waste District at (802-775-7209) to discuss recycling and disposal options.

There is a nominal fee for recycling/disposal.

WHAT TO BRING: Arts and Crafts Supplies,Carburetor Cleaner, Chemistry Kits, Creosote, Drain Cleaners, Fertilizer, Flea Powde, Floor Cleaners, Fluorescent Bulbs (Unbroken), Furniture Polish, Gas Treatments, Pool Chemicals, Radiato, Flusher, Rodent Killer, Herbicides, Insect Sprays, Lead and Oil-Based Paints, Lighter Fluid, Lithium, Mercury, Ni-CAD Batteries, Metal Polish, Mothballs, No –Pest Strips, Oven Cleaners, Paint Thinners, Pesticides, Photo Chemicals, Roofing Tar, Rug/Upholstery Cleaners, Rust Proofers, Solvents/Varnish Sealants, Toilet Cleaners, Used Motor Oil, Wax Polish, Wood Preservatives, Wood Strippers and Stains.

WHAT NOT TO BRING: LATEX PAINT  – Latex Paint is not a hazardous waste!  Use it up or give it to a friend to use.  It may be dried and landfilled as a solid waste.  Open container and let dry until solid or mix in cat-litter to speed up the process.

CAR BATTERIES may be taken to the Rutland County Solid Waste Facility during regular operating hours.  Most service stations will take used car batteries.

TIRES are also accepted at the Gleason Road facility for a nominal fee.

Please contact:
John at the Rutland County Solid Waste District at 802-770-1333,
Pam at the Solid Waste Alliance Communities at 518-854-9702

For more information:

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>