“We’ve improved personal health and the local economy by developing regional trails, promoting walkable communities, and fostering active lifestyles” said founder of Local Motion, Chapin Spencer, who has guided the growth of the organization by launching new ventures and engaging residents throughout northwestern Vermont.
Community leaders, including Brian Costello, who co-founded the organization in 1999 to develop the Winooski River Bike Ferry and the 10-mile historic Cycle the City tour. With two early successes, the organization broadened its sights on making the Greater Burlington area a better place to walk, bike, run and ski.
The organization has flourished and today they:
- Coordinate Safe Routes To School in 22 Chittenden County schools
- Manage the Trail Finder — a free online mapping resource for all area trails
- Run a community bicycle shop “Bike Recycle Vermont” in Burlington’s Old North End
- Operate the Causeway Bike Ferry and are close to dramatically expanding service
- Operate a Trailside Center on the Burlington waterfront providing maps, rentals and advocacy information
- Help communities build more sidewalks, trails and safe streets through our Close The Gaps campaign
Today, Local Motion has 1,000+ member households, a 15-member Board of Directors, 400 annual volunteers and a long wish list of projects still to tackle. You can see their 2011 accomplishments online at: www.localmotion.org
Find more about programs, education & Inspiration, Resources, News & Events, Bike Rentals, Maps and more: 802.652.2453 or 802.861.2700