By Steve Swanson
Currently in the U.S., 95% of all new homes are built with forced-air heating systems (the other 5% are built with hydronic heating or electric heat). This is a classic David and Goliath situation. Now, just from the numbers, you would think forced air is a superior or better method for conditioning […]
The River Clyde will be used as the source of heat. Image: Thinkstock.
By George Harvey
One of Scotland’s greatest cities, Glasgow, sits on the banks of the River Clyde. Its situation on that river is a resource that Star Renewable Energy (SRE) is taking advantage of to provide district heating.
SRE is an […]
Image courtesy of EggGeothermal.
By George Harvey
In January, Renewable Energy World published an article by geothermal expert Jay Egg, Can Natural Gas Giants Switch to Geothermal? (http://bit.ly/NG-to-geothermal) In it, Egg makes a good case that geothermal heating may be an excellent path to continued profitability for natural gas (NG) utilities.
Geothermal heating […]
Join the New England Geothermal Professional Association (NEGPA) for their bi-monthly Geothermal Seminars – non-members are welcome to attend as well! Topics for discussion in this seminar will include:
Seasonal thermal energy storage for sustainable heating & cooling Case study of a thermal powered building in Portsmouth, NH
Jotul Oslo stove installed in Vermont.Photo courtesy of Friends of the Sun, Brattleboro, VT
Burning wood produces environmental impacts. These impacts are reduced considerably when done responsibly.
Responsible wood heating should be defended from criticism that it is bad for the environment. In fact it should be promoted on environmental grounds.
When we talk […]
This passive house utilizes only one ductless heat pump for all of its cooling and heating. Photos courtesy of Steven Winter Associates
By Robb Aldrich
More and more homeowners are investing in air-source heat pumps (ASHPs) to heat and cool their homes and move away from fossil fuels. Manufacturers and distributors have seen double-digit […]
by New Hampshire Electric Cooperative
With the advent of multi-head, ductless heat pumps that maintain their efficiency in sub-zero temperatures, New Englanders are using heat pumps for more than just supplemental heat during the “shoulder” months. They’re using them as a primary heat source and moving away from fossil fuels.
This new way of heating […]
Edited by N.R. Mallery
During winter months, heating costs make up the bulk of your fuel bills.
Thus it makes sense for your heating system to work as efficiently and as effortlessly as possible, and you can enjoy the warmth it produces without the worry about how rapidly the dial on your energy meter is […]
Residential geothermal example. Photo courtesy of Bosch Thermotechnology.
By John P. DiEnna, Jr.
Geothermal heat pumps (GHPs) use the Earth’s thermal properties, (the energy under our feet) to provide heating and cooling for buildings, along with water heating. It has had more interest by governments, utilities, developers, and users in recent […]
By Jim Ashley and George Harvey
From the point of view of general economy, there is no more efficient way to heat and cool most buildings than with heat pumps. The most efficient heat pumps are geothermal, which move the heat from or to the Earth’s crust, partly because the temperature underground is […]