- “All Aboard! UK’s First Hydrogen-Powered Train Starts Trial Journeys Today” • The first-ever hydrogen-powered train will run on the UK mainline today. Today’s trials of the train, named HydroFLEX, follow almost two years of development work and more than £1 million of investment by both Porterbrook and the University of Birmingham. [Energy Live News]
- “Two-Fifths Of Plants At Risk Of Extinction, Says Report” • Two-fifths of the world’s plants are at risk of extinction, scientists have warned. Researchers say they are racing against time to name and describe new species, before they disappear. Plants hold huge promise as medicines, fuels and foods, says a report by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. [BBC]
- “Dominion Unleashes Coastal Virginia” • Dominion Energy commenced started operations at its 12-MW Coastal Virginia offshore wind farm in the US. Ørsted oversaw the installation of the offshore project’s offshore components for the US developer, including turbines and foundations, while Dominion Energy oversaw all onshore aspects. [reNEWS]
- “Global Renewable Energy Jobs Hit Record High” • Global renewables industries supported a record 11.5 million jobs in 2019, but governments will need to “supercharge” the energy transition to keep growth on track with Covid-19, said the International Renewable Energy Agency. Solar dominated growth technologically. [Recharge]
- “DHL Inaugurates Package Delivery In London Using Water Transportation” • Packages arriving at Heathrow airport are taken to a nearby dock on the Thames by electric vehicles. Then DHL takes them by boat down the river to London, where they are unloaded and put on pedal-powered cargo bikes for delivery to final destinations in the city. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.