- “Boris Johnson Promises To Protect 30% Of UK’s Land By 2030” • An extra 400,000 hectares of English countryside will be protected to support the recovery of nature under plans by Boris Johnson. He will make the commitment at a virtual UN event. He is joining 65 leaders who pledged to reverse losses in the natural world by 2030. [BBC]
- “UpriseEnergy Demonstrates Rapid-Deploy Wind+Battery Energy Solution In A Shipping Container” • UpriseEnergy has shown a portable wind turbine. The company took a prototype from their 20,000 square foot facility in San Diego, drove it to a site a dozen miles away, set it up, and ran it for an hour, putting out about 6 kWh of electricity. [CleanTechnica]
- “The Ancient Trade Holding Back The Sahara Desert” • With climate change, the Sahara Desert has grown about 100 km southward since 1950, and it is expected to keep growing. Now, acacia trees, whose gum has been prized for its unusual culinary and medical uses, are part of a continent-wide effort to hold back the Sahara Desert. [BBC]
- “Climate Change May Spark Serial Washoe Wildfires” • Within 20 years, northern Washoe County, Nevada, may become the epicenter of persistent wildfires driven by higher temperatures and prevalent drought brought about by climate change. That prediction is among several grim conclusions based on analysis of climate research. [Reno News & Review]
- “China’s Carbon Pledge Will Require Complete Inversion Of Existing System” • China has pledged to reduce carbon emissions to virtually zero by 2060. If it succeeds, it could reduce the global heating forecasts by up to 0.3°C. To do this, it will need to rethink its energy supply completely. One projection is for reliance on solar and windpower. [The Guardian]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.