- “Listen Up! Dr. James Hansen Has A Message For The Citizens Of Earth” • Dr James Hansen sent an email about a paper on the Earth’s energy imbalance. The Earth has an energy imbalance of 0.75 ± 0.25 W/m2. That number, while small, is equivalent to the heat of 400,000 nuclear explosions like the one at Hiroshima – every day! [CleanTechnica]
- “Australia’s Biggest Renewable Energy Hub To Deliver Low-Cost Power For ACT” • The proposed $3 billion Goyder project will have 1200 MW of wind, 600 MW of solar, and 900 MW, 1800 MWh of storage. The hub is to be the biggest of its kind. The first contract is for 100 MW at A$44.97/MWh ($33/MWh or 3.3¢/kWh) for 14 years. [RenewEconomy]
- “LA County Records Highest-Ever Temperature” • Los Angeles County recorded its highest-ever temperature on Sunday, Sept 6. Dave Bruno, a senior meteorologist for the National Weather Service, said, “We reached 121°F in Woodland Hills, California. That is the highest-ever temperature at a station, beating 119°F on July 22, 2006.” [CNN]
- “Wildfires Force Evacuation Of Entire Town In Central California” • Authorities issued evacuation orders Monday for the entire town of Auberry, a mountain community of 2,500 in central California, as the Creek Fire continued to burn out of control. The Creek Fire has grown to nearly 80,000 acres in size and is 0% contained. [CNN]
- “Green Hydrogen Could Generate £320 Billion In The UK” • A report by the Offshore Wind Industry Council and the Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult says green hydrogen industry could create 120,000 jobs and deliver £320 billion for the UK by 2050. It says the UK has the industrial base, research organizations, and wind potential to do this. [reNEWS]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.