- “GivePower Solar Desalinization Plant Brings Clean Water To Desperate People” • Non-profit GivePower was spun off from SolarCity in 2016. Its mission is to bring solar power to areas of the world without access to electricity, but seeing a great need for water, it developed a desalinization plant that could fit in a shipping container. [CleanTechnica]
- “One Of My Favorite Political Commenters Bombs On 21st Century Energy” • In a video segment and column, “Bernie Sanders’ magical thinking on climate,” Fareed Zakaria of CNN communicates several falsehoods and misleading claims. His talking points definitely stem from energy industry propaganda sources, not good science. [CleanTechnica]
- “French Ski Resort Uses Helicopters To Deliver Snow For Bare Slopes” • A French ski resort used helicopters to deliver snow after mild weather dried out its slopes, threatening to close it. The Luchon-Superbagnères resort in the Pyrenees had around 50 tonnes of snow dropped on slopes for beginners and children. The snow was taken from higher mountains. [BBC]
- “Wind, Solar Generating Capacity Rising” • The share of US grid electricity generated by natural gas will be relatively steady from 2019 through 2021, at 37% in 2019, 38% in 2020, and then falling back to 37% in 2021, according to the Energy Information Administration. Meanwhile, the share generated by renewables will rise from 17% to 21%. [Kallanish Energy]
- “UK’s Renewable Adoption Rate Has Driven World’s Fastest Decarbonization” • The UK’s move towards renewable energy has helped drive the world’s fastest rate of decarbonization, an independent analysis by academics from Imperial College London shows. Power sector’s emissions, 161 million tonnes in 2010, fell to 54 million in 2019. [Energy Live News]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.