- “Largest Electric School Bus Program In United States Launching In Virginia” • Dominion Energy partnered with local Virginia school districts to begin replacing diesel buses with 100% electric school buses in phases. Thomas Built Buses Inc has been selected as the provider of all 50 of the initial electric school buses. [CleanTechnica]
- “IRENA: Renewable Energy Must Double In 10 Years” • The International Renewable Energy Agency said that to address climate change, renewable sources need to grow from the current 26% of global power to at least 57% by 2030. This will require annual investment in the sector to double from $330 billion to $750 billion. [Gulf News]
- “Australian Firefighters Say ‘Megablaze’ Near Sydney Is Under Control” • Exhausted firefighters said the largest “megablaze” is under control, as wet weather promised to deliver a respite that is much needed. The vast Gospers Mountain fire on Sydney’s northwestern outskirts has been burning out of control for nearly three months. [The Japan Times]
- “Can solar geoengineering mitigate both climate change and income inequality?” • Research from the University of California San Diego finds that solar geoengineering – the intentional reflection of sunlight away from the Earth’s surface – may reduce income inequality between countries. The study was published in Nature Communications. [EurekAlert]
- “Canada Nuclear Plant: Alert About Incident Sent In Error” • An emergency alert for an incident at Pickering Nuclear Generating Station near Toronto was sent to mobile phones in error, officials say. The warning said staff were responding to an incident at the plant, but then, almost two hours later, a second alert said the initial message was wrong. [BBC]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.