- “Wind Will Speed Holy Cross Energy To 70% Renewable Goal” • A year ago, Holy Cross Energy, which serves areas in western Colorado, announced a goal to have 70% of its electricity be carbon-free by 2030. Holy Cross recently announced that its 2030 goal would be met for sure by 2021. Now, it is considering a more ambitious goal. [Mountain Town News]
- “Elizabeth Warren Unveils Environmental Justice Plan” • Sen Elizabeth Warren detailed a new environmental justice plan aimed at bolstering and protecting vulnerable communities on the front lines of the climate crisis. As president, she would use the powers of the office for a “just transition” toward a green energy economy. [CNN]
- “How Climate Change Primed California’s Power Shutdown” • Since the 1980s, the size and ferocity of the fires in California have trended upward: Fifteen of the 20 largest fires in California history have occurred since 2000. And since the 1970s, the amount of area burned in the state has increased by a factor of five. [National Geographic]
- “US Nuclear Power And Uranium Mining Industries Hope For Trump Bailout” • A plea from uranium mining companies and nuclear power plant operators for tax breaks and other federal financial boosts is going before President Donald Trump, as his administration studies reviving the US uranium industry in the name of national security. [The Japan Times]
- “Manatees And Key Deer Are Being Pushed To Extinction By Climate-Fueled Superstorms” • Manatees and Key deer are among 10 species that are particularly at risk of disappearing as intensifying hurricanes bring more rainfall, storm surge and winds that destroy coastal habitats, the Center for Biological Diversity said in a report. [Miami Herald]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.