- “US Wind Industry’s Response To Solar’s Rise: Embrace It” • Amid the changes going on in the renewable power industries, the American Wind Energy Association trade group announced that its flagship annual Windpower conference and exhibition will expand to include solar and storage, starting next year in Denver. [Greentech Media]
- “Ohio House Lawmakers Amend Nuclear Plant Bailout Bill” • The Ohio House has dramatically changed the energy bill that would bailout the state’s nuclear power plants and repeal renewable energy standards. Under the changes neither wind nor solar power can qualify for “Clean Air Credits.” It seems the bill benefits only nuclear plants. [WCBE 90.5 FM]
- Opinion: “Republicans Aren’t Just Climate Deniers. They Deny The Extinction Crisis, Too” • In King Lear there is a famous line: “‘Tis the time’s plague when madmen lead the blind.” The words comment on the deadly consequences of greed, delusion, and folly, but they could serve just as well as a comment on today’s Republican Party. [The Guardian]
- “Reality Check: Does Wind Energy Kill Birds And Cause Cancer?” • According to US Fish and Wildlife Service, wind turbines kill up to 300,000 birds a year. That’s low compared to other sources. Communication towers kill 40 million, power lines kill 140 million. Also, the American Cancer Society says it is unaware of links to cancer. [WCCO | CBS Minnesota]
- “Traverse City Switching To 100% Renewable Energy” • Traverse City is known for its beauty, and city officials want to protect that by switching to 100% green energy. Municipal buildings will be powered entirely by solar and wind energy by 2020. The local utility will use 40% renewables by 2025, and it will be completely green by 2040. [9&10 News]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.