- “We’ll Soon Know The Exact Air Pollution From Every Power Plant In The World. That’s Huge.” • A nonprofit AI firm called WattTime will use satellite imagery to track the air pollution (including carbon emissions) coming out of every single power plant in the world precisely, in real time. And it’s going to make the data public. [Vox]
- “1 In 5 Americans Now Live In Places Committed To 100% Clean Power” • With Washington state, Nevada, New Mexico, California, Hawaii, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico, all committed to goals of 100% renewable energy, one in five Americans lives in places with such a goal. Seven more states have bills to meet the same goal. [Grist]
- “Bipartisan Group Of Legislators Reintroduces Bills To Get PA 100% Powered By Renewable Energy” • A bipartisan group of state legislators is re-introducing a pair of bills aimed at getting Pennsylvania to have 100% renewable energy by 2050. Sen Tom Killion (R-Chester) said “It’s not just about the environment. It’s about jobs.” [WHYY]
- “Age Of Cheap Coal Power Is Over For Australia, Says BNEF” • The era of cheap coal power in Australia is over, brought to an abrupt end by ever cheaper solar and wind power generation, and by rising coal prices, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s Kobad Bhavnagri. The change happened more quickly than anyone had predicted. [RenewEconomy]
- “Siemens Spins Off Struggling Gas And Power In Smart Digital Shift” • Siemens is spinning off its gas and power business, which has dragged on the German engineering firm’s performance as the rise of renewable power hits demand for gas turbines. The gas and power unit’s 2018 profit had fallen by 75% as revenue dropped 19%. [ETEnergyworld.com]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.