- “LM Wind Rolls Out First Haliade-X Blade” • LM Wind Power has produced the first 107-meter blade that will be fitted to the prototype GE Renewable Energy Haliade-X 12-MW offshore turbine. Testing and validation will begin once finishing touches are done. The prototype is being installed in the Netherlands, later this year. [reNEWS]
- “Bernie Sanders Calls For An End To Fossil Fuels” • Bernie Sanders made a rather stunning proposal, saying climate change is “not a hoax but is an existential threat.” He wants “to transform our energy system away from fossil fuel and into energy efficiency and sustainable energy and, in the process, create millions of good paying jobs.” [CleanTechnica]
- “Americans’ Energy Use Surges Despite Climate Change Concern” • Americans used a record amount of energy in 2018, with a 10% jump in natural gas consumption helping to lead the way, according to the Energy Information Administration. Total consumption of all fuels rose 4% year on year, the largest such increase in eight years. [Associated Press]
- “Massachusetts Approves Vineyard Power Deal” • Long-term off-take contracts for the 800-MW Vineyard Wind farm being developed off the state’s coast have been approved by the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities. Officials said the off-take deals will spur economic development and ensure a “resilient energy future.” [reNEWS]
- “New York City Sets Ambitious Climate Rules for Its Biggest Emitters: Buildings” • Plans approved by the City Council of New York are expected to cut greenhouse gas emissions from large buildings by 40% compared to 2005 levels by 2030, about 26% below current levels. Buildings account for two-thirds of the city’s emissions. [InsideClimate News]
- “NJ Approves $300 Million Of ZECs For Salem, Hope Creek Nukes” • New Jersey regulators approved zero-emission credits totaling $300 million for the state’s three nuclear reactors, nearly a year after the governor signed off on an ambitious energy plan aimed at boosting the use of carbon-free resources to 50% over the next decade. [RTO Insider]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.