- “Washington State Commits To Running Entirely On Clean Energy By 2045” • The state of Washington is now committed to making the state’s electricity supply carbon neutral by 2030 and 100% carbon-free by 2045. The bill makes it the fourth state to commit to 100 percent clean energy and adds a feather to the cap of Gov Jay Inslee. [Gizmodo]
- “Cheap, Safe 100% Renewable Energy Possible Before 2050, Says Finnish Uni Study” • A global transition to the exclusive use of renewable energy sources is not only possible but cheaper and safer than reliance on fossil fuels and nuclear energy, a study from the Lappeenranta University of Technology and the Energy Watch Group shows. [YLE News]
- “Fraunhofer Reports Combining Farming With Solar 186% More Efficient In Summer Of 2018” • The Fraunhofer Institute has conducted experiments in what it calls agrophotovoltaics for two years in Germany. In 2018, they found that the potatoes they grew beneath solar panels did better than they would have in full sun. [CleanTechnica]
- “Half Of UK’s Electricity To Be Renewable By 2025” • Close to half of the UK’s electricity will come from renewable sources by 2025, according to Carbon Brief analysis of new government projections. There are further cuts to the outlook for gas-fired electricity generation, which is now set to drop by two-fifths over the next six years. [Carbon Brief]
- “Turning Lemons Into Lemonade: Michigan Researches Converting Abandoned Mines Into Energy Storage” • Michigan Technological University is studying whether communities could transform abandoned mines into valuable energy storage. A pilot project at the city of Negaunee could help mining communities turn liabilities into assets. [CleanTechnica]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.