- “Report: CO₂ At Highest Level In 3 Million Years” • Scientists announced in a report that CO₂, the gas that causes most global warming, is present in our atmosphere at the highest level in 3 million years. At that time, sea levels were as much as 65 feet higher than they are now, Greenland was mostly green, and Antarctica had trees. [USA TODAY]
- “EU Accuses German Carmakers Of Colluding To Delay Clean Air Technology” • The EU has accused German carmakers of collusion. The European Commission said Volkswagen, BMW, and Daimler broke antitrust rules by acting together to delay the introduction of two emissions cleaning systems between 2006 and 2014. [CNN]
- “Get Ready For 1.5¢ Renewable Electricity, Steven Chu Says, Which Could Unleash Hydrogen Economy” • Former Energy Sec. Steven Chu told a roomful of scientists in Chicago they should think now what they could do with renewable electricity that costs only 1.5¢/kWh. And, he suggested, those thoughts should include hydrogen. [Forbes]
- “Stuttgart, Home Of Porsche & Mercedes, Has Banned Older Diesels” • Every diesel vehicle over 10 years old is now effectively banned from operating in any part of the entire city area of Stuttgart, which is home to Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and 630,000 residents. The move signals the first serious diesel ban in any German city. [CleanTechnica]
- “Hanover Moves Closer To Renewable Energy Goal” • The town of Hanover, New Hampshire, is making progress toward its goal of using 100% renewable energy for electricity by 2030. It is also upgrading some police vehicles to hybrid models as part of its goal to reach 100% renewable for transportation and heating by 2050. [Valley News]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.